11.10.2010

::P0551BL3 57YL35::

I've bought 3 thin Arthur Rackham books, 1 Alphonse Mucha 2o11 calendar, 1 booklet of Hiroshige postcards on his "One Hundred Famous Views of Edo," and 2 books by Sanjay Patel on the Ramayana and Hindu Deities.  [The Hiroshige and Mucha links are referential--bought different items from the Norton-Simon Museum this past October.]  Going out to museums and events, watching films almost everyday, and scanning the top filmmakers in festivals is all research to me.

These are the following films that I've seen that interest me from the 12th Annual Animation Show of Shows screened at Dreamworks in Glendale last week:  "The Silence Beneath the Bark" by Joanna Lurie, Love & Theft by Andreas Hykade, Luis by Cristobal Leon, Niles Atallah, and Joaquin Cocina, and finally, Sinna Mann ["Angry Man"] by Anita Killi based on the book by Gro Dahle and Svein Nyhus.

I love the graphic style of Lurie's film; no dialogue or music was needed, just ambient sound and grunts from the characters.  Hykade's film was great for the fluidity and synch to original music, but I appreciate this film more than I'm going to take away any reference from it.  Luis is super for the creepy childish nightmare / memory;  I was able to understand the bits being whispered by the narrating child because I know some Spanish, but it was all child's talk.  The effect of the voice was more important than the actual words, good for dark pieces.  Killi's "Angry Man" was really disturbing; the journey was truly riveting the whole way through, and like this film, I don't want the audience to stay sitting too still for mine.



These are movies that I took screenshot from because I liked what was going on visually, and how it communicated what kinds of stories they were telling, too:

Kung Fu Panda [2oo8]  for the graphic style and season change:






300 [2oo7]  for the wolf sequence:




El Dorado [2ooo]  for the visual development and lighting: